Code of Conduct
ACWA promotes and supports adherence to the code of conduct by all participants in the Western Australian aquaculture industry. By following these standards, the aquaculture industry will demonstrate that it is a responsible industry involved with developing sustainable Western Australian regional communities.
Principles of the Aquaculture Industry
To maintain ecological and economic sustainability, the aquaculture industry has adopted a set of principles that form the underlying philosophy for the Code of Conduct:
- Ecologically sustainable development.
- Economic viability.
- Long term protection of the environment to ensure availability of suitable sites for aquaculture operations.
- Compliance with, and auditing of adherence to, regulations and the Code of Conduct.
- Resource sharing and consideration of the other users of the environment.
- Research and development to support the achievement of the above five priorities.
These principles provide the industry with the mechanism to implement the Code of Conduct as well as providing specific sectors or regions of the industry with the necessary framework for developing their own Codes of Practice.
Industry will work in conjunction with Government and other stakeholders to ensure that aquaculture developments are managed responsibly and sustainably (ecologically and economically) and that their considerable social, economic and environmental advantages are achieved.